Microsoft has issued a press release to accompany the posting of the Windows 7 Release Candidate (RC) earlier today. The statement divulges two important areas of information for the new release: system requirements and official new features.
System requirements are as follows:
- 1GHz or faster 32-bit (x86) or 64-bit (x64) processor
- 1 GB of RAM (32-bit)/2 GB of RAM (64-bit)
- 16 GB of available disk space (32-bit)/20 GB (64-bit)
- DirectX 9 graphics device with Windows Display Driver Model 1.0 or higher driver
Among the officially listed new features:
- Remote Media Streaming. allows remote access to home-based digital media libraries from another Windows 7-based PC
- Windows XP Mode. Allows Windows 7 users to run many Windows XP productivity applications; available in Windows 7 Professional and Windows 7 Ultimate customers
- Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor. helps analyze PCs in preparation for a Windows 7 upgrade.
- Refined navigation. Several enhancements to the Windows taskbar, JumpLists
- Windows Touch. Controlling the computer by touching a touch-enabled screen or monitor; the RC update includes several Windows Touch updates, including the ability to drag, drop and select items with touch.